Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KINGS-CROSS

KINGS-CROSS, a quondam hamlet and a chapelry in St. Pancras parish, Middlesex. The quondam hamlet is now part of the metropolis; lies between Pentonville and Somers-Town, 1¾ mile NW of St. Paul's; and contains the terminus of the Great Northern railway. The platform of that terminus is 800 feet long; has lofty roofs, 105 feet each in span; and exhibits a fine mixture of grandeur and simplicity. The small pox hospital and an unpleasing statue of George IV. formerly were here.—The chapelry was constituted in 1849. Pop. in 1861, 8, 020. Houses, 914. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £200. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1861, at a cost of about £7, 000; was designed to have a central entrance tower, which then was completed only to the level of the roof; is in the decorated English style; and contains 1, 200 sittings.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a quondam hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: St Pancras AP/CP/Vest       Middlesex AncC
Place: Kings Cross

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.