Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KINGSWOOD

KINGSWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Bitton parish, Gloucester. The village stands near the Bristol and Gloucester railway, between Stapleton and Mangotsfield stations, 3½ miles NE by E of Bristol; and has a post office† under Bristol.—The chapelry was constituted in 1821. Pop., 4, 699. Houses, 986. The property is much subdivided. The land was anciently a royal chase or forest, or literally a King's wood. Most of the inhabitants are employed in collieries and shoe making; and some in market gardens. A great work of religions reformation was done here under the preaching of Wesley and Whitefield; and a classical school, for the sons of preachers, was established by Wesley. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £100.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a square structure, in the pointed style, with a tower 90 feet high; and has a handsome interior, and a stone pulpit. There are an Independent chapel, national schools, and the Bristol reformatory.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Bitton AP/CP       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Kingswood

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.