Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KIRKBURTON

KIRKBURTON, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Huddersfield district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles N of Shepley r. station, and 5 SE of Huddersfield, and has a post office, ‡ under Huddersfield; and cattle fairs on the last Monday of April and Oct.-The township contains also the village of High-Burton, and the hamlets of Dogley-Lane, GreenGrove, Spring-Grove, Linfit-Lane, and Paddock. Acres, 1, 260. Real property, £7, 476; of which £89 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3, 560; in 1861, 3, 664. Houses, 748. Much of the land belongs to the Earl of Dartmonth. The woollen and fancy manufactures are largely carried on.—The parish contains also the townships of Shelley, Shepley, Thurstonland, Fulstone, Hepworth, Cartworth, Wooldale, and part of Half-Cumberworth. Acres, 15, 990. Real property, with the rest of HalfCumberworth, £50, 101; of which £2, 006 are in mines, £568 in iron works, and £104 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 20, 371; in 1861, 20, 526. Houses, 4, 071. The property, in most parts, is much subdivided. The manor of Shepley belongs to Sir Joseph Radcliffe; that of Thurstonland, toH. Bill, Esq.; and that of Hepworth, to S. W. L. Fox, Esq. The mines are in seven of the townships, but most largely in Thurstonland and Hepworth; the iron works are in Hepworth; and woollen mills are in Shelley, Shepley, and Hepworth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £320. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is of the 13th century; and has a fine chancel, and a tower. The p. curacies of Shepley, Thurstonland, Newmill, Hepworth, and Holmfirth, are separate benefices. There are Independent, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, national schools, a mechanics' institute, and several charities in Kirkburton township; and five churches, eight Dissenting chapels, a number of public schools, and some charities, in the other townships.-The subdistrict excludes Fulstone, Hepworth, Cartworth, and Wooldale townships, but includes a township of High Hoyland and Silkstone parishes. Acres, 7, 160. Pop., 12, 501. Houses, 2, 492.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Kirkburton CP/AP       Kirkburton SubD       Huddersfield PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Kirkburton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.