Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LEATON

LEATON, a township in Shrewsbury-St. Mary parish, and a chapelry partly also in Fitz and Preston-Gubbals parishes, Salop. The township lies on the Shrewsbury and Chester railway, near the river Severn, 4¼ miles NNW of Shrewsbury; and has a station on the railway.—The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Posttown, Shrewsbury. Pop., 434. Houses, 101. Pop. of the St. Mary portion, 279; of the Preston-Gubbals portion, 141. Leaton Knolls is the seat ofS. Lloyd, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £105. Patron, S. Lloyd, Esq. The church was built in 1860, at a cost of £5, 475; is in the early English style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Shropshire AncC
Place: Leaton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.