Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LEOMINSTER, or LYMINSTER

LEOMINSTER, or LYMINSTER, a parish in Worthing district, Sussex; on the South Coast railway, at the quondam Arundel station, 1½ mile E of Ford Junction station, near the river Arun, and 2 miles SSE of Arundel. It contains the hamlets of Crossbush, Toddington, and Wick; and includes the tything of Warningcamp. Post town, Arundel. Acres, 3,586. Real property, £8,305. Pop. in 1851,794; in 1861,908. Houses, 188. The increase of pop. arose partly from the facility with which freehold land is obtained for building purposes, and partly from the proximity of the parish to the port of Littlehampton. Leominster House is the seat of T. Evans, Esq.; Brookfield, of E.Holmes, Esq.; Crossbush, of R. Upfold, Esq.; and Dover Hall, ofBeauclerk, Esq. A small nunnery was here in the Saxon times; became a priory of Benedictine nuns, under the abbey of Almanasche in Normandy; and was given, by Henry VI., to Eton college. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £350.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is very ancient; includes transition Norman and early English portions: and has a very lofty chancel arch, and a square tower. A church was once in Warningcamp, but has entirely disappeared. There is a free school for Leominster and Rustington.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Lyminster CP/AP       East Preston Inc/PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place names: LEOMINSTER     |     LEOMINSTER OR LYMINSTER     |     LYMINSTER
Place: Lyminster

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.