Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LINDALE

LINDALE, a chapelry, with a hamlet, in Upper Allithwaite township, Cartmel parish, Lancashire; on the W side of the estuary of the Kent, adjacent to the Ulverston and Lancaster railway, 3 miles ENE of Cartmel. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Newton-in-Cartmel. The acreage and pop. are returned with the township. Castle-Head, the seat of E. Mucklow, Esq., is the chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £71.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was rebuilt in 1828; consists of nave and chancel, with a small tower; and contains 300 sittings. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry, with a hamlet"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Cartmel AP/CP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Lindale

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.