Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LITTLEBURY

LITTLEBURY, a village and a parish in SaffronWalden district, Essex. The village stands on the river Cam, and on an ancient Roman road, adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, 2 miles N of Audley-End r. station, and 2 W of Saffron-Walden; and has a postoffice under Saffron-Walden. The parish contains also the hamlet of Littlebury-Green, and comprises 2,300 acres. Real property, £5,288. Pop., 974. Houses, 191. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the 9th century, to a monastery in the Isle of Ely; was given, by Queen Elizabeth, to Sutton, the founder of the Charterhouse; and passed to the Earls of Bristol. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £205.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church stands within the area of a Roman camp; is of considerable antiquity, plain and good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains four brasses, from 1520. A chapel stood formerly at Chapel-Green, about 2 miles from the church. There are an endowed school with £75 a year, and charities £33. Winstanley, who built the first Eddystone lighthouse, and perished in it, was a native.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Littlebury CP/AP       Essex AncC
Place: Littlebury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.