Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LIVESEY

LIVESEY, a township in Blackburn parish, Lancashire; on the river Darwen, the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, at Cherry-Tree r. station, and 2½ miles SW of Blackburn Acres, 1,890. Real property, £12,145. Pop. in 1851, 2,649; in 1861,3,581. Houses, 674. The increase of pop. arose from addition to the number of cotton mills, which are extensive. Livesey Hall, and the greater portion of the land, belonged formerly to the Livesey family, now extinct; and it passed by sale, in 1802, to the family of Feilden. The Leeds and Liverpool canal here crosses the river Darwen by a fine one-arched aqueduct. The township is nearly co-extensive with the chapelry of Feniscowles; the church of which was built in 1836, is partly in the pointed style and partly in the Tudor, and has a tower and spire. A national school, at Waterloo, is used as a chapel of ease. An Independent chapel at Mill-Hill is a recent and handsome erection; and contains about 1,000 sittings. The previous chapel is now used as a school-house. A mechanics' institute was established in 1853.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Blackburn CP/AP       Livesey CP/Tn       Lancashire AncC
Place: Livesey

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.