Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LLANFIHANGEL-ABERBYTHYCH

LLANFIHANGEL-ABERBYTHYCH, a parish in Llandilo-fawr district, Carmarthen; on the river Towy, near the influx of the Bythie, and on the Carmarthen and Llandilo-fawr railway, 3 miles SW by W of Llandilofawr. It contains the hamlets of Llan, Berrach, Bryngwyne, Calliver, Cathargoed, Cathilas, Cilygernant, and Glynn; and its Post town is Llandilo, under Carmarthen. Acres, 6,036. Real property, £4,226. Pop., 824. Houses, 192. The manor belongs to the duchy of Laucaster. Dryslwyn Castle, Dynevor Castle, Golden Grove, and Grongar hill are in the neighbourhood. Good limestone is found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St David's. Value, £72. Patron, Earl Cawdor. The church was built in 1617.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Llanfihangel Aberbythych AP/CP       Llandilo Fawr PLU/RegD       Carmarthenshire AncC
Place: Llanfihangel Aberbythych

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.