Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LLANSAMLET

LLANSAMLET, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Neath district, Glamorgan. The village stands on the river Tawe and the Swansea canal, near the Swansea Vale railway, 3½ miles NNE of Swansea; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Neath. The parish is cut into two divisions, higher and lower; and comprises 6,735 acres of land, and 2,100 of water. Real property of the higher div., £8,730; of which £5,900 are in mines. Pop. in 1851,1,477; in 1861,1,860. Houses, 368. Real property of the lower div., £9,059; of which £260 are in mines, and £20 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,799; in 1861,3,243. Houses, 645. The property is subdivided. Glanbrane and Gwernllwynwith are chief residences. There are coal mines and copper works; and they give a dismal aspect to the landscape. The railway, on both sides of L. station, traverses steep inclines. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Kilvey, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church was recently in disrepair. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and charities £7.—The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Llansamlet AP/CP       Llansamlet SubD       Neath PLU/RegD       Glamorgan AncC
Place: Llansamlet

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.