Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LUDBOROUGH

LUDBOROUGH, a village, a parish, and a wapentake, in Lincoln. The village stands near the East Lincoln railway, 5½ miles NNW of Louth; occupies the site of a Roman settlement; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Louth. The parish is in Louth district, and comprises 2,250 acres. Real property, £3,190. Pop., 401. Houses, 85. The manor belongs to the trustees of J. Livesey, Esq. The manor-house is very ancient, but has been modernized, and is now occupied by a farmer. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £590. Patron, R. Thorold, Esq. The church is a very fine early English structure; was well restored in 1860; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a three-storied tower; contains a double piscina, foliated water-drains, and a circular-arched old aumbrie; and was found, while being restored, to contain a sepulchral slab of the 14th century, bearing an incised cross. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and United Free Methodists, and a new Church of England school.-The wapentake contains also nine other parishes. Acres, 12,931. Pop., 1,892. Houses, 407.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a wapentake"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Ludborough AP/CP       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Ludborough

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.