Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LYNDHURST

LYNDHURST, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in New Forest district, Hants. The village stands near the centre of the New Forest, 1½ mile SW by W of Lyndhurst-Road r. station, and 9 SW of Southampton; is the capital of the New Forest, and a seat of petty sessions; contains the Queen's House, in which the Forest courts are held; has a post office under Lymington, and a good inn; takes its name from the linden or lime tree; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Copley. The Queen's House is a plain edifice, dating from the time of Charles II.; is the official residence of the Lord Warden, when he visits the Forest; was the abode of George III. during a week in 1789, when on his road to Weymouth; and includes the Verderer's Hall, fitted with green-covered magisterial seats, and containing an ancient iron stirrup, probably not older than the time of Henry VIII., but traditionally said to have been the stirrup used by William Rufus on the day of his fatal hunting. Hence says Rose,-

And still in merry Lyndhurst hall
Red William's stirrup decks the wall
Who lists the sight may see;
And a fair stone in green Malwood
Informs the traveller where stood
The memorable tree.

The parish contains also the hamlets of Pike Hill, Botton-Bench, and part of Emery-Down. Acres, 3,618. Real property, £5,942. Pop., 1,522. Houses, 311. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Crown. All the area, except 3 acres, is in the New Forest; 3,265 acres being in Irous-Hill-Walk, and 350 in Rhinefield-Walk. Northerwood, the seat of Misses Cooper, is about ½ a mile NW of the village; was frequently visited by George III.; and commands a very wide view towards the Isle of Wight. Cuffnells, the seat of Mrs. Hargreaves, also is in the vicinity; and stands in a very picturesque park, containing some remarkably fine rhododendrons. Foxlease, Park Hill, New Park, Vernalls, Gascoignes, Rosier, and Shrubs Hill, also are neighbouring seats. The living is p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Minstead, in the diocese of Winchester. The church is modern; occupies the site of an ancient one, rebuilt by George II. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, a school endowment of £26 a year, and charities £53.—The sub-district contains also another parish, an extra-parochial tract, and large portions of New Forest in Hants, a parish in Wilts, and a parish partly in Hants and partly in Wilts. Acres, 25,723. Pop., 3,355. Houses, 708.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Lyndhurst CP/Ch       Lyndhurst SubD       New Forest PLU/RegD       Hampshire AncC
Place: Lyndhurst

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.