Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MADRESFIELD

MADRESFIELD, a parish, with a village, in Uptonon-Severn district, Worcester; under the Malvern hills, 2 miles NE of Great Malvern r. station, and 6 NW by N of Upton-on-Severn. Post town, Great Malvern. Acres, 1,192. Real property, £2,013. Pop. in 1851,175; in 1861,271. Houses, 52. The property belongs to Earl Beauchamp. Madresfield Court, the Earl's seat, is a moated Tudor mansion, and stands in a well-wooded park. Bricks, tiles, and drain pipes are largely made at Dripsill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester.. Value, £230.* Patron, Earl Beauchamp. The church was rebuilt in 1867, and is in the decorated English style, and has a tower and spire. There are an en dowed school, and charities £8.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Madresfield AP/CP       Worcestershire AncC
Place: Madresfield

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.