Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TYRENASCRAGH

TYRENASCRAGH, a parish, in the barony of LONGFORD, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 ½ miles (N. N. E.) from Portumna, on the road from Loughrea to the Shannon; containing 1093 inhabitants. This parish, which is pleasantly situated on the river Shannon, comprises 3686 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; about one-half of the land is arable and in a profitable state of cultivation; the system of agriculture is improving, and there is a large tract of bog. The principal seats are Longford Lodge, the residence of Major Kelly; Longford Castle, of J. Dowling, Esq.; and Waterview, of J. Lemon, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert, forming part of the union of Dononoughta; the rectory is appropriate partly to the see and partly to the deanery. The tithes amount to £71. 1. 6 ½., of which £34. 3. 1. is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, (as part of the temporalities of the see), £4. 12. 8 ¾. to the Dean, and £32. 6. 1 ¾. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Killimore; the chapel is a small thatched building, situated in the village. About 150 children are taught in two private schools in the parish.


(Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); Transcription © Derek Rowlinson, 2005-10. Reproduced from LibraryIreland. We are deeply grateful to LibraryIreland for allowing us to use their transcription.)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Longford IrlBarony       Galway IrlC

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.