Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GRANGE (ST. JOHN BAPTIST)

GRANGE (ST. JOHN BAPTIST), a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (S. E.) from Fethard, on the road to Clonmel; containing 771 inhabitants. It comprises about 2754 statute acres and is well cultivated. The principal seats are Clonacody, that of E. Kellett, Esq.; and Lakefield, of W. Pennefather, Esq.; both handsome residences. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, forming part of the union of Cahir; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of W. Netterville, Esq. The tithes amount to £160, of which £100 is payable to the impropriators and £60 to the vicar.


(Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); Transcription © Derek Rowlinson, 2005-10. Reproduced from LibraryIreland. We are deeply grateful to LibraryIreland for allowing us to use their transcription.)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Middlethird IrlBarony       Tipperary IrlC
Place names: GRANGE     |     GRANGE ST JOHN BAPTIST     |     ST JOHN BAPTIST GRANGE

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.