Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GRANGE

GRANGE, a village, in the parish of AHAMPLISH, barony of LOWER CARBERY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (N.) from Sligo, on the road to Ballyshannon; containing 221 inhabitants. It comprises 40 houses, and has two bridges over the river Banduff, which were erected at the close of the last century. It is a revenue and a constabulary police station, and has fairs, on June 2nd and 28th, July 25th, Aug. 25th, Sept. 29th, Oct. 28th, and Dec. 10th.


(Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); Transcription © Derek Rowlinson, 2005-10. Reproduced from LibraryIreland. We are deeply grateful to LibraryIreland for allowing us to use their transcription.)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Sligo IrlC

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.