Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KNUTTON

KNUTTON, a village and a township in Wolstanton parish, Stafford. The village stands 1 mile NW of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and is a scattered rapidly-increasing place. The township includes also the greater part of Silverdale village, and a tract, called Knutton-Heath, which abounds with ironstone, and lately was a common. Real property, £23,885; of which £10,134 are in mines, and £4,333 in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 1,918; in 1861,4,464. Houses, 935. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the establishment of new ironworks. Coal is extensively mined. The Newcastle race-course is on the skirts of Knutton-Heath. There are a schoolroom licensed for Church of England service under Silverdale, a Primitive Methodist chapel, and a United Free Methodist chapel; and the last was built in 1863.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Wolstanton AP/CP       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Knutton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.