Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LANGFIELD

LANGFIELD, a township in Heptonstall chapelry, Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near the river Calder, the Rochdale canal, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 1 mile SE of Todmorden, and 10 W by S of of Halifax. Acres, 5,920. Real property, £15,484. Pop. in 1851,3,729; in 1861,4,391. Houses, 890. Much of the land is moor and mountain. Mankinholes, Kilnhurst, Lower Stoodley, and Sandholme are chief residences. There are cotton spinning mills, cotton factories, sizing manufactories, and stone quarries. A monument, in commemoration of the exploits of the Duke of Wellington, was erected on Stoodley hill soon after the peace of 1815; was blown down on the eve of the commencement of the Crimean war; and has been re-erected, by subscription, at a cost of £800. There is a Wesleyan chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Halifax CP/AP       Langfield Tn/CP       West Riding Riding       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Langfield

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.