Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LANGLEY-BURRELL

LANGLEY-BURRELL, a parish, with a village, in Chippenham district, Wilts; on the river Avon, and on the Great Western railway, 1½ mile NE of Chippenham. Post-town, Chippenham. Acres, 1,725. Real property, £6,161. Pop. in 1851,697; in 1861,1,100. Houses, 211. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of numerous houses in a part adjoining Chippenham. The property is subdivided. A causeway, more than 3 miles long, with 60 arches, extends here and crosses the Avon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £386.* Patron, the Rev. R. M. Ashe. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. A chapelry, called St. Paul's, constituted in 1855, comprises a portion of this parish, and portions of the parishes of Chippenham, Hardenhuish, and Kington-St. Michael. Pop. of that chapelry, in 1861,1,218. Houses, 232. Pop. of the L. B. portion, 733; of the Chippenham portion, 455. The living is a p. curacy. Value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is large, and has an elegant spire. There is a free school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Langley Burrell AP/CP       Chippenham PLU/RegD       Wiltshire AncC
Place: Langley Burrell

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.