Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HARMSTON

HARMSTON, a village and a parish in the district and county of Lincoln. The village stands on an eminence, with an extensive view, 6 miles S of Lincoln; and has a station on the Grantham, Honington, and Lincoln railway, and a post-office under Lincoln. The parish comprises 2,690 acres. Real property, £4,289. Pop., 414. Houses, 02. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Harmston Hall, belongs to B. Thorold, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £108.* Patrons, B. Thorold, Esq., and Mrs. A. E. Thorold. The church is ancient, with a tower; was recently in an unsatisfactory condition; and contains monuments of the Thorolds. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £18.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Harmston CP/AP       Lincoln PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Harmston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.