Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LANGTON

LANGTON, a village, a township, and a parish in Malton district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands in a valley of the Wolds, 3 miles SSE of Malton r. station; is a pretty place; and has a fair on Whit-Monday. —The township comprises 2,290 acres. Real property, £2,547. Pop., 207. Houses, 46.—The parish contains also the township of Kennythorpe; and its post-town is New Malton. Acres, 2,822. Real property, £3,943. Pop., 264. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Langton Hall, belonged to Major-General Norcliffe. Langton Wold is a famous training ground, with racing stables, and a race-course; commands, round the race-course, an extensive panoramic view; and has traces of an ancient British camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £560. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was almost wholly rebuilt in 1822; has a fine E window, and a tower; and contains an ancient font, and monuments of the Norcliffes. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Langton CP/AP       East Riding Riding       Malton PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Langton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.