Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Newhaven

Newhaven.-- seaport town and par. with ry. sta., Sussex, at mouth of-river Ouse, 8 miles E. of Brighton -par., 933 ac., pop. 4009; town (also in Denton par.), pop. 4421; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Newhaven has acquired importance from being the chief port between Portsmouth and the Downs; is a bonding port and preventive station, and the chief place of embarkation for Dieppe, to and from which place mail packets ply daily. The port is much frequented, and is specially known as a harbour of refuge. In addition to the continental traffic there is a considerable coasting trade in coal, corn, timber, &c. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.)


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "seaport town and parish with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "harbors")
Administrative units: Newhaven AP/CP       Sussex AncC
Place: Newhaven

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.