Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Eastbourne

Eastbourne, watering-place, mun. bor., hundred, and par., E. Sussex, on the English Channel, 3 miles E. of Beachy Head and 66 SE. of London hy rail -- hundred and par., 4755 ac., pop. 21,595; mun. bor., 7597 ac., pop. 22,014; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 6 newspapers. Eastbourne originally consisted of the three hamlets of East Bourne, South Bourne, and Sea Houses. It is a rapidly growing place. In 1871 its population was only 10,361. Its principal features are the grand parade, 2½ miles long; tlne pier (1868), 1000 ft. in length; the carriage-drive along the cliff; the Devonshire park (12 ac.); the Devonshire baths; the pavilion, with its concert and floral halls, its reading rooms, &c.; and the Princess Alice Memorial Hospital (1883). Eastbourne was made a municipal borough in 1883. Many Roman antiquities have been found.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "watering-place, municipal borough, hundred, and parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "recreational facilities")
Administrative units: Eastbourne CP/AP       Eastbourne Hundred       Sussex AncC
Place: Eastbourne

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.