Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Twyford

Twyford, par. and vil. (ry. sta. Shawford and Twyford), Hants, on river Itchin, 3 miles S. of Winchester, 4260 ac., pop. 1429; P.O; Twyford House and Twyford Lodge are seats. Twyford, from its delightful situation, is called the "Queen of Hampshire villages"; at Twyford there was formerly a Roman Catholic seminary, at which Pope received part of his education.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Twyford CP/AP       Hampshire AncC
Place: Twyford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.