Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Pwllheli

Pwllheli, par. and mun. bor., seaport, and market town with ry. sta., Carnarvonshire, in S. of co., on N. side of Cardigan Bay, 21 miles SW. of Carnarvon and 251 NW. of London, 1017 ac., pop. 3242; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Pwllheli consists of the whole of Denio par., with parts of the pars. of Abererch and Llannor. It is an ancient town, and received its charter of incorporation from the Black Prince, the charter being confirmed in 1422 by Henry VI. From its attractive situation and the magnificence of its surrounding scenery, as well as the splendid views of the full extent of Snowdon to be obtained here, Pwllheli offers great and varied attractions as a place of tourist resort. It has risen into repute as a watering-place. The port is a sub-port to Beaumaris; the harbour has accommodation for vessels of 60 tons, and a good coasting trade is carried on, besides considerable inland trade. Lobster and oyster fisheries are briskly prosecuted. There are, besides the markets, several important cattle fairs. Pwllheli forms one of the Carnarvon District of Parliamentary Boroughs, which returns 1 member.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Pwllheli AP/CP       Caernarvonshire AncC
Place: Pwllheli

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.