Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Petworth

Petworth, market town and par. with ry. sta., Sussex, 14 miles NE. of Chichester and 55 SW. of London by rail, 6129 ac., pop. 2942; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. The town stands on an eminence near the river West Rother, and was known at Domesday as Peteorde; is irregularly built, but has many good houses, and has been much improved. A good trade in corn is carried on, and fairs for cattle are held thrice a year. Marble quarries are in the neighbourhood. Petworth House is the seat of Lord Leconfield; the park is 12 miles in circuit; the mansion, a modern building, which has replaced the old manorial castle, contains a rich collection of paintings and statuary of great historical interest.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "market town and parish with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Petworth CP/AP       Sussex AncC
Place: Petworth

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.