Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Margate

Margate, mun. bor., par., and seaside resort, Kent, in Isle of Thanet, 5 miles NW. of Ramsgate and 74 miles E. of London by rail - par., 3919 ac. and 618 foreshore, pop. 18,226; mun. bor., 995 ac., pop. 16,030; 2 Banks, 3 newspapers. The place was formerly known as Mergate, meaning a passage to the sea. The mun. bor., which received its charter of incorporation in 1857, is a corporate member of the Cinque Port of Dover. Margate is undoubtedly the most familiar seaside resort of Londoners, of whom many thousands visit the place every year. Much has been done in the town for the convenience and comfort of visitors; piers and esplanades especially have been constructed at great expense. The town is well known for its fine hotels and its hospitals for the reception of invalids. Sea fishing is the chief industry, considerable numbers of flat fish being brought to the shore. At W. end of pier is a lighthouse 70 ft. high, with fixed light 85 ft. above high water and seen 10 miles.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "municipal borough"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Margate St John the Baptist AP/Ch/CP       Kent AncC
Place: Margate

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.