Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Lampeter

Lampeter, market town and par. with ry. sta., Cardiganshire, on river Teifi, 13 miles SE. of Aberayron and 264 miles from London--par. (Lampeter Pont Stephen), 6204 ac., pop. 1897; town, 1669 ac., pop. 1443; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. A bridge here is supposed to have been built in the 12th century. The town was incorporated by Henry VI., and is the seat of St David's College, which has powers to graut the degrees of B.A. and B.D. Lampeter formed one of the Cardigan District of Parliamentary Boroughs, which returned 1 member until 1885.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "market town and parish with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Lampeter CP/AP       Cardiganshire AncC
Place: Lampeter

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.