Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Lamberton (or Lamerton)

Lamberton (or Lamerton), ancient par., now in Mordington par., SE. Berwickshire; Lamberton Kirk, the remains of which stand near the coast, 3½ miles NW. of Berwick upon Tweed, figured in the marriage-treaty of Margaret, daughter of Henry VII. of England, with James IV. of Scotland; Lamberton toll-bar, near the church, was long, like Gretna Green, a place of runaway marriages.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "ancient parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Berwickshire ScoCnty
Place names: LAMBERTON     |     LAMBERTON OR LAMERTON     |     LAMERTON
Place: Lamberton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.