Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Kirkstall

Kirkstall, eccl. dist. with ry. sta., Leeds par., E. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, in NW. of Leeds bor., pop. 3430; P.O., T.O.; the station is 3 miles NW. of Wellington Street Station, Leeds; the ruins of Kirkstall Abbey (founded first at Barnoldswick in 1147, and removed to Kirkstall in 1152) are in good preservation; Kirkstall Grange and Kirkstall Hall are seats.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "ecclesiastical district with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Leeds CP/AP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Kirkstall

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.