Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Hampton

Hampton.-- par., township, and vil. with ry. sta., Middlesex, on river Thames, 12 miles S W. of Hyde Park Corner, London -- par., 3351 ac. (142 water), pop. 6940; township, 2036 ac. (62 water), pop. 4776; P.O., T.O.; has extensive works in connection with the London water supply. Its residences include the house of David Garrick (1716-1779.) About a mile from the vil. is Hampton Court Palace, one of the finest specimens extant of the Tudor style of architecture. It was built by Cardinal Wolsey, and (1526) presented by him to Henry VIII., after which the palace continued to be a royal residence until the reign of George H. Edward VI. was born here. The State apartments, picture gallery, and gardens are open to the public; but other parts of the building are reserved as a home for persons of rank in reduced circumstances.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parish, township, and village with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Hampton AP/CP       Middlesex AncC
Place: Hampton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.