Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Swaffham

Swaffham, market town and par. with ry. sta., Norfolk, 15 miles SE. of Kings Lynn, 7550 ac., pop. 3643; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. The principal architectural feature of Swaffham is the parish church, which is the finest church in the neighbourhood. The town is well built, and has a spacious market place, a corn hall, a market cross, an assembly room, and an endowed grammar school. Swaffham is noted for its butter market. Ironfounding and coachmaking are carried on. Fairs for lambs are held in May and July.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "market town and parish with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Swaffham CP/AP       Norfolk AncC
Place: Swaffham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.