Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Queensferry, North

Queensferry, North, a village of Fife in the detached section of the civil parish of Dunfermline, but (since 1855) in the ecclesiastical parish of Inverkeithing, at the extremity of Ferryhill peninsula, on the N coast of the Firth of Forth, directly opposite Queensferry, and 1¾ mile S of Inverkeithing. William, Bishop of St Andrews, in 1323 gave its chapel of St James to the abbey of Dunfermline; in 1781, after the visit of Paul Jones to the firth, it acquired a battery, long ago dismantled. A favourite summer resort for sea-bathing, it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a railway station, a coastguard station, a Free church, and a public school. Pop. (1831) 434, (1861) 369, (1871) 382, (1881) 360.—Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

(F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4); © 2004 Gazetteer for Scotland)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Dunfermline ScoP       Fife ScoCnty
Place: North Queensferry

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.