Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Laurieston

Laurieston, a village in Falkirk parish, Stirlingshire, 1½ mile E by S of Falkirk town, under which it has a post and railway telegraph office. Adjoining the park of Callander House, and commanding from its elevated site a brilliant view of the Carse of Falkirk and the Ochil Hills, it was feued out in 1756 by Francis Lord Napier. At first it was called Langtown, next Merchiston or New Merchiston, and afterwards Lawrencetown, now abbreviated into Laurieston. It comprises a central square and regularly intersecting streets, southward and westward; carries on weaving, nail-making, etc.; and has a public school and a Free-until 1876 Reformed Presbyterian-church, built in 1788, and containing 250 sittings. Pop. (1831) 1306, (1861) 1265, (1871) 1310, (1881) 1452.—Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.

(F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4); © 2004 Gazetteer for Scotland)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Falkirk ScoP       Stirlingshire ScoCnty
Place: Laurieston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.