Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Gullane

Gullane (anc. Golyn), a village in Dirleton parish, N Haddingtonshire, ½ mile SE of the head of Gullane Bay, and 4 miles NW of Drem Junction. The sandy links around it, burrowed by hundreds of rabbits, form an excellent coursing ground; and it has a race-horse training establishment, an inn, and a public school. Its church, St Andrew's, given early in the 13th century to Dryburgh Abbey by Sir William de Vaux, and made collegiate by Sir Walter de Haliburton in 1446, is roofless now and much dilapidated. Imperfect at both extremities, it comprised a nave and an apsidal chancel, 71 and 20 feet long, which retain a zigzagged chancel arch of advanced Norman character, and a broad trigonal string-course on the outer N wall of the nave and the S side of the chancel. The ruins are figured in Grose's Antiquities (1789), and described in T. S. Muir's -Notiees of Ancient Churches in Scotland (1848). Till 1612 Gullane gave name to the parish of Dirleton.—Ord. Sur., sh. 33, 1863.


(F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4); © 2004 Gazetteer for Scotland)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Dirleton ScoP       East Lothian ScoCnty
Place names: GOLYN     |     GULLANE
Place: Gullane

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.