Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Glengairn

Glengairn, a glen, an ancient quoad civilia parish, and a modern quoad sacra parish, in Aberdeenshire. The glen, commencing among the Cairngorm Mountains, in the N of Crathie and Braemar parish, adjacent to Banffshire, takes down the Cairn 20 miles east-south-eastward to the river Dee, in Glenmuick parish, 1 3/8 mile NW of Ballater. The ancient quoad civilia parish lay chiefly along both banks of the lower half of the Gairn's course, but included also a small tract, called Strathgirnie, on the right bank of the Dee, and is now incorporated with Glenmuick and Tullich. Its church, which stood below the bridge of Gairn, was dedicated to St Mungo or Kentiggern, by whom it was probably founded in the latter half of the 6th century. The modern quoad sacra parish consists mainly of the ancient quoad civilia parish, but includes part of Crathie. It is in the presbytery of Kincardine O'Neil and synod of Aberdeen; the minister's stipend is £120. Its church stands 6 miles NW of the post-town Ballater, 2 miles nearer which is the Roman Catholic church of St Mary Immaculate (1868; 200 sittings). There is also a public school. Pop. (1871) 588, (1881) 454, of whom 17 were in Crathie parish and 437 in Glenmuick.—Ord. Sur., shs. 75, 65, 1876-70.


(F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4); © 2004 Gazetteer for Scotland)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a glen, an ancient quoad civilia parish, and a modern quoad sacra parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "valleys")
Administrative units: Aberdeenshire ScoCnty
Place: Glengairn

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.