Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Gamescleuch

Gamescleuch, a ruined tower in Ettrick parish, Selkirkshire, near the right bank of Ettrick Water, 1¾ mile E of Ettrick church. It was built about the middle of the 16th century by Simon, second son to Sir John Scott of Thirlestane, Lord Napier's ancestor; but, according to tradition, was never occupied, Simon having been poisoned by his stepmother the night before his marriage. A burn on which it stands has a north-westward the opening of the Inverurie Canal, and now enjoys better advantages from the superseding of that canal by the Great North of Scotland railway; and it has a farmers' club, dating from 1808, and a medical associa. tion, dating from 1867. The presbytery of Garioch, meeting at Inverurie and Insch, comprehends the parishes of Bourtie, Chapel of Garioch, Culsalmond, Daviot, Insch, Inverurie, Keithhall, Kemnay, Kintore, Leslie, Meldrum, Monymusk, Oyne, Premnay, and Rayne, with the chapelry of Blairdaff. Pop. (1871) 20,132, (1881) 20,136, of whom 5781, according to a Parliamentary Return (1 May 1879), were communicants of the Church of Scotland in 1878.-The Free Church also has a presbytery of Garioch, meeting at Pitcaple, and comprising churches at Blairdaff, Chapel of Garioch, Culsalmond, Insch, Inverurie, Kemnay, Kintore, Leslie, Oyne, and Rayne, which ten churches together had 2173 communicants in 1881.

(F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4); © 2004 Gazetteer for Scotland)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a ruined tower"   (ADL Feature Type: "historical sites")
Administrative units: Ettrick ScoP       Selkirkshire ScoCnty

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.