Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Darnley

Darnley, an ancient barony in Eastwood parish, Renfrewshire, 1½ mile E of Barrhead. It belonged for ages to a branch of the house of Stewart, and in 1460 gave the title of Baron to Sir John Stewart, who in 1488 became Earl of Lennox, and whose fourth descendant was Henry Lord Darnley (1546-67), the husband of Queen Mary. It still gives title of Earl (cre. 1675) to the Duke of Richmond and Lennox, but by the first of his line was sold in the beginning of the 18th century to the Duke of Montrose; and, passing again by sale in 1757 to Sir John Maxwell of Pollok, belongs now to Stirling-Maxwell of Pollok and Keir. It gives a prefix name to several seats of manufacture and other localities within its limits.


(F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4); © 2004 Gazetteer for Scotland)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "an ancient barony"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 3rd order divisions")
Administrative units: Eastwood ScoP       Renfrewshire ScoCnty
Place: Darnley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.