Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WILNECOTE

WILNECOTE, a township in Tamworth parish, and a chapelry partly also in Polesworth parish, Warwick. The township lies on Watling-street, 1 mile W of the erby and Birmingham railway, and 2½ SE of Tamworth; and has a post-office under Tamworth, and a r. station jointly with Fazeley. Real property, £4,289; of which £250 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 824; in 1861, 1,350. Houses, 267. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of coal mines. The property is much subdivided. W. Hall, Dosthill House, and Wilnecote Hall are chief residences. Bricks and tiles are made.—The chapelry was constituted in 1856. Pop. in 1861, 1,654. Houses, 329. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £178. Patron, the Vicar of Tamworth. The church is tolerable; and there are an Independent chapel and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Polesworth AP/CP       Warwickshire AncC
Place: Wilnecote

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.