Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WINNOW (St.)

WINNOW (St.), a parish, with Bridgend village in Bodmin district, Cornwall; on the river Fowey, 2¼ miles SSE of Lostwithiel r. station. Post town, Lostwithiel. Acres, 6,137. Real property, £6,651. Pop., 1,115. Houses, 237. The property is subdivided. Ethy and Lanwithan are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of E. The church occupies a very beautiful position, and is good. There are a chapel of ease, a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £20.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with Bridgend village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: St Winnow AP/CP       Bodmin PLU/RegD       Cornwall AncC
Place names: ST WINNOW     |     WINNOW ST
Place: St Winnow

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.