Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WITHNELL

WITHNELL, a township and a chapelry in Leyland parish, Lancashire. The township lies 2¾ miles SSW of Pleasington r. station, and 5 SW of Blackburn; includes Brinscall and Abbey-Mill villages, and two hamlets; and has a post-office under Chorley. Acres, 3,557. Real property, £6,819; of which £100 are in quarries. Pop., 2,059. Houses, 365. The manor belongs to J. Park, Esq. Ollerton Hall is the seat of W. P. Park, Esq.; and W. Fold, of T. B. Park, Esq. There are cotton mills, calico-printing-works, bleaching mills, a paper mill, and mineral springs.—The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Pop., 2,160. Houses, 383. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £141.* Patron, the Vicar of Leyland. There are two Wesleyan chapels, two national schools, and charities £5.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Leyland CP/AP       Withnell Tn/CP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Withnell

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.