Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WITHYHAM

WITHYHAM, a parish and a sub-district in East Grinstead district, Sussex. The parish lies adjacent to the Three-Bridges and Tunbridge-Wells railway, 6½ miles SW by W of Tunbridge-Wells; contains a village and two hamlets; and has a post-office‡ under Tunbridge Wells, a r. station, and a fair on Michaelmas day. Acres, 8,086. Real property, £7,281. Pop. in 1851, 1,692; in 1861, 1,597. Houses, 306. The manor, with Buckhurst Park, belongs to Earl Delawarr. Ruins of an ancient mansion of Buckhurst, including a tower and other parts, are near the church. Summerford, Florence, Penns-Rocks, Crowborough-Warren, and Beech-Green Park are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £717.* Patron, Earl Delawarr. The church was enlarged and interiorly renovated in 1844; and it includes a private chapel of the Sackvilles, containing three fine monuments. A chapel of ease is at Crowborough 'T here are a Wesleyan chapel, six alms houses, and other charities £22.—The sub-district includes Hartfield parish.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Withyham CP/AP       Withyham SubD       East Grinstead PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place: Withyham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.