Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WOBURN-SANDS

WOBURN-SANDS, a hamlet in Wavendon parish, Bucks, and a chapelry partly also in Aspley-Guise parish, Beds. The hamlet lies on the Bedford and Bletchley railway, 3 miles ENE of Fenny-Stratford; and has a post-office under Woburn, and a r. station. The chapelry was constituted in 1867. Pop., 850. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £166. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. There are chapels for Quakers and Wesleyans, and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Aspley Guise AP/CP       Bedfordshire AncC       Buckinghamshire AncC
Place: Woburn Sands

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.