Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WOODFORD-ST. MARY

WOODFORD-ST. MARY, a parish in West Ham district, Essex; on the Stratford and Ongar railway, 4¼ miles N by E of Stratford. It has a r. station, of the name of Woodford; and it contains W.-Green village, with a head post-office.‡ W.-Bridge village, with a post-office under Chigwell-Road, and W. village and W.-Wells village, with post-offices under W.-Green. Acres, 2,148. Real property, £18,277. Pop. in 1851, 2,774; in 1861, 3,457. Houses, 631. The increase of pop. arose from erection of house s consequent upon railway communication with London. The manors belong to the Earl of Cowley and E. Warner, Esq. There are many fine mansions, and numerous good villas. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £779. Patron, the Earl of Cowley. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1817, at a cost of £9,000. The vicarage of W.-Bridge is a separate benefice. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and charities £85. Sydney Smith was a native.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Woodford CP/AP       West Ham PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place: Woodford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.