Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WOODMANSTERNE

WOODMANSTERNE, a parish in Croydon district, Surrey; 2½ miles S of Carshalton r. station. It has a post-office under Epsom. Acres, 5,190. Real property, £2,474. Pop., 271. Houses, 49. Oaks, which once belonged to the Earls of Derby, and gave name to the Oaks stakes at Epsom, is now the seat of J. Smith, Esq. Stagbury, is the seat of the Walpole family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £375.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there are a national school and charities £16.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Woodmansterne CP/AP       Croydon PLU/RegD       Surrey AncC
Place: Woodmansterne

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.