Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WRAXALL

WRAXALL, a village and a parish in Bedminster district, Somerset. The village stands 2 miles NNE of Nailsea r. station, and 6½ W of Bristol; and has a post-office under Bristol. The parish includes Failand hamlet, and comprises 3,773 acres. Real property, £7,483. Pop. in 1851, 1,016; in 1861, 912. Houses, 183. The manor belongs to Sir J. H. G. Smyth, Bart. W. House, W. Lodge, Charlton House, Naish House, Tyntesfield, and Belmont are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £575.* Patron, the Rev. E. P. Vaughan. The church is later English. There are a school-church, a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £73.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Wraxall CP/AP       Long Ashton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Wraxall

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.