Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WRINGTON

WRINGTON, a village and a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset. The village stands on a hillslope, 3¾ miles SE of Yatton r. station, and 6½ NNE of Axbridge; was once a market-town; is now a seat of petty-sessions, and has a post-office,‡ designated Wrington, Somerset, an inn, and a reading room and library. The parish includes three hamlets, and comprises 5,786 acres. Real property, £9,707. Pop., 1,617. Houses, 307. The property is much subdivided. W. Lodge is the seat of W.-Towgood, Esq. Barley Wood Cottage was built by Hannah More, is now the residence of W. H. Harford, Esq., and has been separately noticed. Westhay, Grove, and Havyatt Lodge are other chief residences. Mill puff and flock are manufactured; and lapis calaminaris is found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £600.* Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church is later English, and was recently restored. A chapel of ease is at Redhill; and there are In dependent and Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and charities £28. Locke the philosopher was a native.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Wrington AP/CP       Axbridge PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Wrington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.