In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walsgrave on Sowe like this:
SOWE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Foles-hill district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Sow, 4 miles NE by E of Coventry r. station; is known officially as Walsgrave-upon-Sow; and has a post-office under Coventry. The parish comprises 2,505 acres. Real property, £7,001; of which £1,156 are in mines. Pop., 1,667. Houses, 380. The manor belongs to Earl Craven. Coal and ironstone are worked, and ribbons are made. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Stoke. The church is good; and there are an iron chapel of ease, an Independent chapel, two Baptist chapels, and a national school.The sub-district contains also six other parishes and a hamlet. Acres, 11,590. Pop., 4,670. Houses, 1,053.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Walsgrave on Sowe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Coventry. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Walsgrave on Sowe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walsgrave on Sowe, in Coventry and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st February 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Walsgrave on Sowe".