In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Petworth like this:
Petworth, market town and par. with ry. sta., Sussex, 14 miles NE. of Chichester and 55 SW. of London by rail, 6129 ac., pop. 2942; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. The town stands on an eminence near the river West Rother, and was known at Domesday as Peteorde; is irregularly built, but has many good houses, and has been much improved. A good trade in corn is carried on, and fairs for cattle are held thrice a year. Marble quarries are in the neighbourhood. Petworth House is the seat of Lord Leconfield; the park is 12 miles in circuit; the mansion, a modern building, which has replaced the old manorial castle, contains a rich collection of paintings and statuary of great historical interest.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Petworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Petworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Petworth, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Petworth".