In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirdford like this:
KIRDFORD, a village and a parish in Petworth district, Sussex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Arun, 4½ miles NE by N of Petworth, and 5 W by N of Billingshurst r. station; and has a post office under Petworth. The parish includes the chapelry of Plastow, and comprises 12, 275 acres. Real property, £7, 181. Pop. in 1851, 1, 955; in 1861, 1, 784. Houses, 342. The decrease of pop. was caused by the migration of young persons to towns. The property is subdivided. Shillinglee Park is the seat of Earl Winterton; Ifold, of John Napper, Esq.; and Ebernoe, of W. ...
Peachey, Esq; Barkfold is occupied by Captain Barwell; and Sladeland, by J. Godman, Esq. Nearly one third of the land is under wood. A limestone of peculiar character, known as Sussex or Petworth marble, has been largely quarried, and is believed to have been worked by the Romans and the Normans. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Plastow, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £500.* Patron, Lord Leconfield. The parish church is chiefly early English, and has a large tower. The church of Plastow was rebuilt in 1856. There are national schools and a workhouse; and, at the census of 1861, the latter had 34 inmates.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kirdford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kirdford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirdford, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kirdford".